This weekend I made a delicious and richly decadent chocolate cake from an old recipe book… I’m pretty sure it was Jamie Oliver’s first book, if not then certainly it was one of his first.
It is the kind of recipe that is a little fiddly because the eggs need to be separated and the egg yolks go into the mix quite early on but the stiffly beaten eggs whites are added in at the end. But it’s so worth the effort!
The cake is made with ground nuts instead of flour so the consistency is dense and the flavour is oh so rich. However, a small slice is all that is needed for each person which means the cake is suitable for a large group of say 10.
I served this cake with poached and roasted pears and chocolate sauce. See the recipe here.
Recipe by Jamie Oliver
150g almonds, peeled
150g walnuts, finely ground
300g dark chocolate
1teaspoon cocoa powder, heaped
100g caster sugar
6 large eggs, separated
1.Preheat oven to 190c/375f/Gas 5.
2. Line the bottom of a 20 or 25cm/8 or 10″ tin with a piece of greaseproof paper before buttering the bottom and sides, then dusting with flour.
3. Place the nuts into a food processor and whizz up until finely ground. Add the chocolate and cocoa, and whizz for 30 seconds to break up the chocolate. Put to one side in a separate bowl.
4. Add the butter and sugar to the food processor and beat until pale and fluffy.
5. At this point, add the egg yolks one at a time, then mix together with the chocolate and nuts.
6. In another bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt, until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate, butter and nut mix.
7. Pour all the mixture into the tin. Bake in the preheated oven for around an hour.
8. To test if the torte is cooked, insert a cocktail stick or the tip of a knife for five seconds. When removed, it should be reasonably clean.
9. Serve with whipped cream, ice-cream or creme fraiche.
I used a spring form cake tin and there was a slight seepage of butter… make sure the cake tin rests on a solid tray in the oven to catch all the drips otherwise you will need to clean the oven like I did!