I’m still on my lemon binge… just can’t get enough of these fresh lemons that are now in season and I have been cooking up a storm, mostly baking. But we did have roast chicken with lemon for dinner last night. It was more of a fragrant lemon flavour because we did a herb marinade and placed a whole lemon in the cavity which was a lovely way to get a subtle lemon hit.
This recipe is for Lemon Meringue Pie and it is slightly different from the traditional recipe. It is richer and luscious, not your every day dessert but just perfect for a special occasion. I’m hoping that Sunday night dessert on lockdown counts!
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (not meyer variety)
- 2 eggs, separated
- cooked pastry pie shell
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
Pastry Pie Shell
See my recipe for pastry pie shell here.
- Pre heat oven to 180°C
- Combine the condensed milk, lemon rind and juice.
- Beat the egg yolks and stir into the lemon mixture.
- Pour into the pie shell.
- To prepare the meringue, beat the egg whites until the peaks just fold over. Gradually beat in the caster sugar and beat until the meringue is smooth and glossy. Pile on top of the filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown.
I love seeing your creations, so if you bake this please tag @life.with.janet on Instagram so I am notified 💕